How to Use Wifi Direct?
Few years back we were all entangled into the network created by cables, whether it was your TV, telephone, internet connection, computer, or the gaming device. But, there came the Wifi and there was a paradigm shift in the field of connectivity and that too without the web of cables. It gave us option to sever our ties with cables and roam free while still keeping us connected with your devices and the world all around.
But there came the devil of free riders, who intentionally breach and enter into your network, but it was sorted by creating access points and passwords, which were hard to crack. But, still we needed to free ourselves from remembering those lengthy passphrases and enjoy the privacy while getting connected over the web and in between our network. So, then there came the Wifi Direct, it promises you to keep your private network completely secure and freedom to connect you with any device of your choice and that too without cables. Isn’t that exciting?
Of course, but the problem here is how to use the Wifi Direct, probably you don’t know that. Okay, let’s see how you can enjoy the boon of Wifi Direct without compromising your online security.
Now you might have question about the security of this method, so let us tell you that, this is because Wi-Fi Direct devices establish their own ad-hoc networks as and when necessary, permitting you see which devices are available and choose which one you require to connect with.
With Wif Direct you can print documents, share data, sync files, and display information from notebooks and netbooks, as well as from devices like smart phones and tablets. Products certified Wi-Fi Direct can connect to other wireless devices without joining a traditional wireless network or Wi-Fi® hotspot.
WiFi Direct Setup
- From the Home screen, tap Applications > Settings > More.
- Tap the slider next to Wi-Fi Direct to turn the feature On or Off. You may see a prompt to turn off Wi-Fi client/hotspot operation. Tap OK to continue.
- Tap Wi-Fi Direct to connect to other Wi-Fi Direct devices.
- Your device will automatically scan for other Wi-Fi Direct devices. If the device you want to connect with is not listed, ensure Wi-Fi Direct is turned on in both device and tap Scan again.
- Tap on the name of the device you would like to connect with from within the list shown on the screen after the scan on your device.
- The other device will receive an Invitation to connect prompt and will have two minutes to Accept, in order to make the connection among those two devices.
- Once connected, the other device will be displayed as Connected (often highlighted or in some cases an indication of ON at the right side of the device name) in your list of Wi-Fi Direct devices, and the Wifi icon will be visible at the top of your screen.
Sharing Information with Connected Device
To share any data viz., videos, pictures, or other information with the connected device, follow these steps:
- Look at the information you want to share. For instance, if you want to share a photo, find the photo in your Gallery, or My Files, then tap the Share icon or tap the Menu key and look for Share, Share page, Share via, or Send via option, and select Wi-Fi Direct.
- Select the device from the list you desire to send the file to.
- You will see the Outbound transfers screen on your device. When the transfer is finish, the receiving device will see a prompt in the status bar displaying a Wi-Fi Direct file has been received.
- When you receive a file via Wi-Fi Direct, you can find the received file in My Files > sd card (if available) > ShareViaWifi.
Note: The prompts and shared folder information may differ depending on your device model.